Football in brief: Moyes jokes he may play as injuries leave hole in defence
Saturday 05 December 2009
Everton: The club's injury crisis has reached such proportions that manager David Moyes joked he was considering playing himself against Tottenham at Goodison Park tomorrow. With Phil Jagielka and Phil Neville (both knee) still sidelined, Moyes has also lost centre-backs Joseph Yobo and Sylvain Distin in the past week.
Full-backs Tony Hibbert and Lucas Neill may play in central-defence although 17-year-old Shane Duffy is a contender. "Myself and Andy Holden [reserve team coach] have both played centre-half over the years," said Moyes, a former Celtic and Preston defender. "We've both put ourselves in the frame this morning when we joined in training and did okay so we're waiting on the manager's decision. I think we'd quite enjoy it. I know what we would be trying to do in the first 30 seconds, rake our studs down the back of their legs."
Dunne's fortitude is a delight for O'Neill
Aston Villa: Martin O'Neill has praised the "tremendous application" shown by Richard Dunne since suffering World Cup heartbreak with the Republic of Ireland. O'Neill, whose side entertain Hull today, said: "It must be very difficult for Richard to forget what happened. There must be moments when he must think what could have been. That will particularly hit him next summer when he is sitting around and thinking 'that could have been me involved in South Africa'. But in terms of his application and professionalism, he has been excellent since coming back to us."
Milan rule out Gattuso move to Chelsea
Milan: Manchester City and Chelsea are not interested in signing Gennaro Gattuso, according to the Milan vice-president, Adriano Galliani. The 31-year-old midfielder has been linked with a move to the Premier League in the January transfer window, but Galliani has played down this suggestion. "I am not aware that Manchester City is interested in him," he said. "I have also spoken to [Chelsea manager Carlo] Ancelotti and Rino [Gattuso] is not in his plans."
Hughes signs Fulham deal to take him to 2013
Fulham: Centre-back Aaron Hughes has signed a new deal to keep him at Craven Cottage until 2013. The 30-year-old Northern Ireland captain has established an effective partnership in defence with Brede Hangeland, who last week agreed a deal to stay for the same period. "I've enjoyed my time at Fulham even during my first season when things weren't going too well on the pitch so I'm delighted to have signed a new deal with the club," said Hughes.
Latest in Sport
Manchester United can learn lessons from the transfer template of rivals Manchester City
Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea top the list of the Premier League's most expensive squads
Harry Kane: Tottenham striker confident of rediscovering goal-scoring form after chat with Alan Shearer
Cyprus vs Wales match report: Gareth Bale's bullet header has Welsh on brink of Euro 2016
Anthony Martial: Manchester United's new signing received Patrice Evra's boots as a kid
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up