Portsmouth: Chief executive Peter Storrie has decided to leave his post at the crisis-hit club. A statement from the club's administrator, Andrew Andronikou, revealed Storrie had left "in the best interests of the club" after speaking with family and friends, although he will continue to advise them in a consultancy role.
Storrie had taken a 40 per cent pay cut after 85 of the club's staff were made redundant earlier this week as Andronikou sought to cut costs. Storrie will be "remunerated accordingly" for working with Pompey on a range of matters, including the sale of the club, the FA Cup semi-final arrangements and other projects.
On several occasions this season Storrie has admitted to considering his position as Portsmouth went through a succession of owners, and he came under fire from supporters this year for his role in the club's slide into administration with debts estimated at £80m.
New League chairman promises transparency
Football League: Greg Clarke, the former chief executive of Cable & Wireless, has promised a culture of transparency following his appointment as Football League chairman. Clarke, who will start his £150,000-a-year post within a month, has previous experience in the sport having been chairman at Leicester City when they went into administration in 2002. The 52-year-old joins the Football League in a season where the ownership of Notts County and Leeds has come under scrutiny. "I think transparency is a wonderful thing," Clarke said. "Scrutiny keeps everyone honest."
Woodgate ruled out for season after operation
Tottenham: Centre-back Jonathan Woodgate has undergone surgery in Australia in an attempt to cure his long-standing groin problem. The 30-year-old will convalesce in the country for three weeks and is unlikely to play again this season. The Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp said: "The people there feel they have the right answer. Will he play again this season? There is no real chance." Woodgate has made just three appearances for Spurs this season, the last in November.
Gadsby's bid for Derby branded 'farcical'
Derby County: The club's chief executive Tom Glick has branded a takeover bid from former chairman Peter Gadsby as "a farce" and insisted the club is not for sale. Gadsby made a £37m offer for the club on Thursday and claimed there is a lack of transparency surrounding the American owners of Derby. Glick said: "I have questions about the true intentions about this – the whole thing is a farce. The club is not for sale and we are not interested in receiving any more bids."Reuse content