Gerrard held after DJ is hurt in brawl

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The alleged victim of a nightclub brawl for which Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was arrested is a DJ there, police sources confirmed today.

The England midfielder remains in police custody after the 34-year-old Southport man was taken to hospital with facial injuries.

Sources confirmed the man was an employee of the Lounge Inn, in Southport, Merseyside, where the midfielder and five other men were arrested on suspicion of assault in the early hours of today.

Gerrard, 28, was at the restaurant and bar - which turns into a nightclub - with friends to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 victory against Newcastle.

But trouble began and an altercation took place outside the premises in Bold Street.

The town centre premises remained shut today but evidence of a fight inside could be seen through the windows.

Spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor, and shards of broken glass.

A Bentley car, which is believed to have been parked overnight, remained outside the club with a parking ticket attached.

Today Gerrard's wife Alex Curran, 26, left a coffee shop close to the police station where the father of her two children was being questioned.

She refused to answer reporters' questions as she walked to her Bentley car and drove off in the opposite direction from the police station, heading towards Liverpool.

A Liverpool spokesman said the club would not be commenting on their captain's arrest.

A police spokesman said: "Merseyside Police are investigating an assault that took place in the early hours of Monday December 29 on Bold Street in Southport.

"At around 2.30am this morning officers attended a disturbance at a licensed premises on Bold Street.

"Six men were arrested on suspicion of section 20 assault on Lord Street.

"The men, four aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, who all come from the Huyton area, a 28-year-old man from Formby and an 18-year-old man from Litherland remain in police custody.

"A 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.

"Anyone who saw anything or who has any information is asked to call Merseyside Police on 0151 777 3165 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."