Hair today, gone tomorrow: Classic facial hair in sport
Tuesday 17 August 2010
Newcastle are back, Joey Barton is back, but more ominously, facial hair is back.
The Newcastle midfielder is currently sporting a rather tidy moustache, and with it reminding us of the good old days when players had names like Walter, Chopper and Dixie.
In recognition of Barton's decision to put the shaver to one side (which apparently he'll be doing until Newcastle record their first win of the season), razor pint to our moustachioed sportsmen with a look back at some classic facial hair from the world of sport.
Presents unwrapped, turkey gobbled... it's time to relax
Latest in Sport
Phillip Hughes: #putoutyourbats tribute sees Twitter users pay their respects to Hughes including Graeme Swann and David Warner
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Phillip Hughes death: UK company Masuri say Australian opener was wearing 'outdated helmet'
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Plebgate: Andrew Mitchell’s reputation in tatters as judge rules he used the word ‘pleb’