Hair today, gone tomorrow: Classic facial hair in sport
Tuesday 17 August 2010
Newcastle are back, Joey Barton is back, but more ominously, facial hair is back.
The Newcastle midfielder is currently sporting a rather tidy moustache, and with it reminding us of the good old days when players had names like Walter, Chopper and Dixie.
In recognition of Barton's decision to put the shaver to one side (which apparently he'll be doing until Newcastle record their first win of the season), razor pint to our moustachioed sportsmen with a look back at some classic facial hair from the world of sport.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
Latest in Sport
Arsenal can surprise Bayern Munich in the Champions League, says former midfielder Gilberto Silva
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Manchester United - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
Transfer news: Arsenal - Transfer targets for January
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile