Jack Charlton recovering after fall
World Cup winner Jack Charlton was recovering in hospital tonight after undergoing hip replacement surgery following a fall at his home.
The 76-year-old, who along with brother Bobby was part of the England team which beat West Germany 4-2 after extra-time in the 1966 final, had the operation at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary.
Son John told Press Association Sport: "He's fine. He had the operation this morning and the operation was fine. Everything went well.
"Basically, as everybody else would, he is just recovering from the anaesthetic.
"They will probably keep him in over the weekend and let him out on Monday if everything is fine. With hip replacements, which is what he has had, they don't tend to keep them in too long.
"They do hip replacements all the time and they said it's not a big operation and, as long as he came through it okay, they expected him to make a full recovery.
"He has come through it and now it's all about rehabilitation."
The Ashington-born former Leeds defender broke his hip after falling down the stairs at his home in Morpeth, Northumberland last night while his wife Pat was out, but eventually managed to get to a telephone to alert his son.
John said: "When he rang me, he told me he had fallen and damaged his hip, and said, 'You had better come around'.
"But it was surreal. When I got there, he was sitting in a chair watching the telly, although we then realised his hip was broken."
Charlton senior, who also famously led the Republic of Ireland to successive World Cup tournaments as manager in 1990 and 1994, might have been home even sooner if he had got his own way.
John said: "He wanted to get up and come out, although that isn't going to happen."
Latest in Sport
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
David Moyes delighted after Rio Ferdinand agrees to stay at Manchester United with new one-year contract
On-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois still believes in Chelsea youth policy
After racist remark, Sergio Garcia fights for reputation as Tiger Woods slams 'hurtful' fried chicken joke
Manuel Pellegrini must decide on futures of Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry and Joleon Lescott as Manchester City name starting date for new manager
Liverpool striker Andy Carroll delays over West Ham move
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.