Liverpool 1990 v Liverpool 2014: Player-for-player - do the current team match-up to the last Liverpool title winners?
Liverpool are in touching distance of their first title since 1990 - but how does the class of 2014 match up?
Thursday 27 March 2014
Liverpool are in serious contention to win the Premier League, something they have not done since 1990.
That team included the likes of Ian Rush, John Barnes and Peter Beardsley and is regularly cited as one of the great Liverpool sides.
But should the team assembled under Brendan Rodgers manage to beat Chelsea and Manchester City to the title they will surely take a seat alongside them.
With victory over Sunderland last night, the Reds moved within a point of top spot and with games against their fellow contenders to come at Anfield, their hopes are in their own hands.
But player-for-player - how do they match up to the last title winning team from Liverpool? Check out our assessment below...
Latest in Sport
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans