Making a comeback: Sport stars who came out of retirement
Thursday 24 March 2011
Over the last couple of weeks, the world of sport has seen not one, but two stars come out of retirement.
Today, World Cup winner Josh Lewesy announced he had answered an SOS from his former club Wasps by signing a temporary contract.
Meanwhile, last week Jens Lehmann answered a similar call from Arsenal and will seemingly be competing with Manuel Almunia for a starting role as the Gunners look to win the Premier League title.
The pair are far from the first sportsmen to make a return after announcing retirement. Here we run down the greatest comebacks, both the successful and unsuccessful.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut