Manchester City shed five English players despite Uefa curb
Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell, Gareth Barry, Scott Sinclair and Joleon Lescott all look on their way out of the Etihad in the summer
Manchester City still intend to shed five English or home-grown players this summer despite Friday’s Uefa Financial Fair Play punishment reducing the number of foreigners they can use in next season’s Champions League.
City – who have had a £49 million net cap imposed on their summer’s spending and will be permitted to use four fewer foreigners in next season’s Champions League squad – will press ahead regardless and move on Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell, Gareth Barry, Scott Sinclair and Joleon Lescott.
The club decided several months ago that Richards would be released, with Liverpool a possible destination amid doubts that the Anfield club will agree a new, more incentivised wage deal with right-back Glen Johnson.
The club feel Rodwell needs more football and will either send him out on loan or sell him, with his previous club Everton ready to seize that opportunity. Arsenal’s interest in Barry may prevent Everton keeping the 33-year-old loanee, whose City contract expires next month. Sinclair remains one of the former manager Roberto Mancini’s most baffling signings, while Lescott has known for weeks that he is surplus to requirements.
It is possible that the reduction in City’s Champions League squad could mean a pro-rata reduction in the number of home-grown players they must use next season. But a lack of Englishmen severely restricts their options. The clear-out would leave only Joe Hart, James Milner, Gaël Clichy (home-grown at Arsenal) and reserve keeper Richard Wright for Europe, with the defender Dedryk Boyata an option for the substitute’s bench with a surprise new contract in the offing. City are bullish about the squad limitations imposed on them.
They feel frustrated by the way they have been characterised as bad for the development of English players. They argue that Richards’ failure to emerge as a top English talent is a result of his frequent injuries, rather than a reluctance to pick him. City are among many clubs who also argue that the new Under-21 Premier League, won last week by Chelsea, is simply not of a sufficiently high standard to allow players to step straight up to the first team.
Meanwhile, managerless Manchester United have agreed a deal with FK Vojvodina to sign Serbia youth goalkeeper Vanja Milinkovic. The 17-year-old will stay with the Serbian side next season before moving to Old Trafford.
Milinkovic’s transfer is the first by United since they sacked manager David Moyes. The Dutchman Louis van Gaal is widely expected to be announced as the new manager in the next few days.
Latest in Sport
Hector Bellerin: How saying no to Barcelona paid off for Bellerin - and Arsenal
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
'I am the president of everybody': What Sepp Blatter said after winning re-election as Fifa president
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 4 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
- 5 Kate Moss on the naked Calvin Klein shoot and the obsession that ended her relationship
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote