Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote has car seized in fraud investigation
The Ivory Coast international was arrested on suspicion of fraud
Wednesday 13 February 2013
Newcastle midfielder Cheick Tiote has had his car seized by police after he was arrested on suspicion of fraud.
The 26-year-old was stopped yesterday near the club's training ground on suspicion of fraud in relation to driving offences.
Following this, Tiote's car - a Chevrolet Camaro estimated to be worth around £75,000 - was seized.
A Northumbria Police spokesman said: "At about 1.30pm on February 12, a car was stopped on Benton Park Road, Newcastle, and a 26-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of fraud in relation to driving offences."
The Ivory Coast international, who recently returned from the Africa Cup of Nations, signed from Dutch side FC Twente in 2010.
Police said inquiries are ongoing.
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site on Friday
Latest in Sport
Alexis Sanchez: Streetwise Arsenal forward is the real deal, says Arsene Wenger
Angel Di Maria: In Argentina if you lost a derby you would hide for weeks, says the Manchester United winger
Arsenal vs Burnley: Jack Wilshere ruled out with knee injury as Arsene Wenger reveals further injury concerns with just three fit defenders
Tim Sherwood column: Southampton are succeeding because they have an identity
Enner Valencia interview: The striker takes whirlwind way to West Ham
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything