O'Neill confined to stand for one game

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Martin O'Neill has been given a one-match suspension by Uefa following his sending-off in Turin on Tuesday night.

The Celtic manager hurled abuse at the referee, Hellmut Krug, after he had awarded Juventus a decisive penalty with just two minutes remaining of the Champions' League Group E opener. O'Neill was furious with Nicola Amoruso's fall and let his feelings be known to the German official.

The Italians won 3-2 from the resulting penalty. The ban means O'Neill will be forced to watch from the stands for Tuesday's game against Porto at Parkhead.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has escaped suspension for his recent red card against Arsenal after winning an appeal hearing. The Chelsea striker, who was dismissed after tussling with Arsenal's Martin Keown a fortnight ago, will therefore be available for Chelsea's game against Middlesbrough tomorrow.

Leicester's Lee Marshall, who was sent off in his side's 1-1 Premiership draw with Bolton Wanderers on 8 September, will also not have to serve a ban after a similar hearing.

A Football Association spokesman, Adrian Bevington, said: "After reviewing the evidence, the FA disciplinary commission decided that both players' red cards will remain on record but no punishments will be imposed on either player. Therefore, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Lee Marshall will be available for their respective clubs this weekend."

The Ipswich goalkeeper Matteo Sereni has been cleared to play at Manchester United today after his red card in the 1-1 draw against Leicester was rescinded. Sereni was dismissed at Filbert Street almost a fortnight ago when he collided with Robbie Savage, who earned Leicester a penalty.

Ipswich appealed against the decision and the match referee, Barry Knight, ruled that the red card should instead be reduced to a caution. As a result, Sereni, who would otherwise have been suspended for Old Trafford, will now be available for selection.