Press Watch: Chelsea's £28m not enough to persuade Lazio to part with Emerson

Unsurprisingly, Chelsea are tipped to be the biggest spenders in the transfer window that opened last Thursday, although the Sunday Mirror says Roman Abramovich's millions still have not been enough to tempt Lazio to part with the Brazilian midfielder Emerson, reporting that a £28m Chelsea offer has been rejected by the Rome club.

The Mirror says Chelsea have also tabled a £10.5m bid for the Parma goalkeeper Sebastien Frey, said by the News of the World to be a target for Arsenal. That paper reckons Chelsea are also set to spend £6m on the Roma defender Cristian Chivu, who captains Romania, with the aim of snatching the 23-year-old from under the noses of Manchester United.

Long-time target Edgar Davids has turned down the latest contract offer from Juventus, according to the Mirror, which says Chelsea have been told they can take the Dutchman on loan for the rest of the season.

Looking further ahead, the Mirror quotes Gerry Armstrong, the former Northern Ireland World Cup striker who now advises clubs on European transfers, as predicting a summer merry-go-round in which Christian Vieri leaves Internazionale for Chelsea, Ronaldo returns to Inter from Real Madrid and Michael Owen leaves Liverpool to replace the Brazilian at the Bernabeu.

At a somewhat lesser level, the People names Chelsea among 10 Premiership clubs said to have been at Wimbledon's First Division match against West Bromwich Albion last week to check on the midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker, available for a cut-price £500,000, although the Mirror reckons the young Dons captain has been lined up by Leicester to replace Muzzy Izzet.

The People says Robbie Keane, who is only 23 yet has already had five clubs, could be bound for another move, reporting a possible £6m bid from Birmingham for the Republic of Ireland forward. The story says the £10m price tags on Jermain Defoe and Alan Smith have forced Steve Bruce to turn to Keane. Tottenham reportedly need the cash to bid for Leeds striker Mark Viduka.

The Mirror suggests that Tottenham are preparing to test West Bromwich Albion's resolve with a £3m offer for the midfielder Jason Koumas and says Birmingham will attempt to sign Sean Davis from Fulham if Robbie Savage goes to Everton, although the Mail on Sunday reckons Blackburn also want Davis, with Graeme Souness ready to pay £3m and throw in Garry Flitcroft as part of the deal.

Sir Bobby Robson's interest in signing Henrik Larsson from Celtic to partner Alan Shearer is highlighted by both the People and the News of the World. The Mirror, however, says Newcastle are on the verge of signing the Southampton striker James Beattie for £6m.

The Mirror says Celtic's Chris Sutton is now the No 1 target in Middlesbrough's search for a striker. The Sunday Express reports a £2m Boro bid for the 30-year-old striker, which would seem to scupper Blackburn's hopes of taking their former forward back to Ewood Park for £1.5m, as reported by the People.

While the News of the World predicts that Manchester United's capture of 19-year-old PSV Eindhoven striker Arjen Robben will lead to Diego Forlan's departure from Old Trafford, possibly to Tottenham or Middlesbrough, the Mirror reckons Arsenal have pipped Manchester United and Chelsea in the race for Real Mallorca's Cameroon front man Samuel Eto'o.

Comments