Rademel Falcao ignores Chelsea interest to pledge immediate future to Atletico Madrid
Rademel Falcao has pledged his immediate future to Atletico Madrid despite reported interest from Chelsea.
The Colombia striker has a £48million release clause, which Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is believed to be willing to meet in the January transfer window.
However, Falcao has reiterated his desire to stay until the end of the season when financial difficulties mean Atletico will almost certainly have to cash in on him.
He said: “I am proud to be here and I still have three years to go on my contract. I am very happy at Atletico at this time.
“There is some talk about my departure at the end of the season, but right now I am perfectly fine in Madrid. I am one with this club and my only concern is to help get it to the top.”
Atletico are second in La Liga, three points behind Barcelona, and Falcao said: “We are at a good moment. It is still too early to talk of the title but I am convinced that we will be up there.
“The priority remains to get a place in the Champions League, we will see about the rest.”
Manchester City and Real Madrid are also interested in the 26 year old, who helped Colombia draw 1-1 with Brazil in Wednesday’s friendly in New Jersey.
Latest in Sport
Monaco is a street circuit where driver ability is more important than anywhere else and if we take ...
by Gareth Purnell
24 May 2013 02:00 AM
Three weeks ago as I drove off the Eurostar, I remember thinking what a very long time it was until ...
by Martin Ayres
23 May 2013 05:29 PM
McDowell did brilliantly to land the World Match Play title in Bulgaria last week, but it’s a format...
by Gareth Purnell
23 May 2013 09:13 AM
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.