Richard Scudamore emails: Premier League to discuss chief’s future after sexist correspondence
The Minister for Sport, Helen Grant, has branded the emails 'completely unacceptable'
Wednesday 14 May 2014
The Football Association chairman, Greg Dyke, has labelled sexist emails sent by Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore as “totally inappropriate”, as pressure grows for action.
Mr Scudamore’s future is expected to be discussed by a Premier League panel next week despite his apology for the emails, which were sent privately to a lawyer friend but were leaked to the press and published at the weekend.
While pressure has been growing for Mr Scudamore to face formal action, Mr Dyke reiterated today that he would not face action from the FA. He said a statement from the body issued on Monday underlined it was a “matter for the Premier League to address”.
“In terms of FA disciplinary policy we, as the FA, could have considered taking action had Mr Scudamore’s statements been made in the public arena,” he said in the letter, which has been copied to acting Premier League chairman Peter McCormick.
“However our policy has always been that we do not consider something stated in a private email communication to amount to professional misconduct. We do, however, consider the content of the emails to be totally inappropriate.”
In a statement, the Premier League said a formal process was under way for dealing with the emails. It is understood the incident will be put before the League’s audit and remuneration committee, led by Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, at a meeting next week to decide whether Mr Scudamore should face action for sending the emails in which he mocked “female irrationality” and made other crude remarks.
Mr Dyke was responding to an open letter to the FA and Premier League from Edward Lord, a member of the FA’s inclusion advisory board (IAB), set up to help tackle discrimination. The IAB had called for Mr Scudamore, 54, to face disciplinary action for his “inappropriate and discriminatory” remarks.
A special meeting of the IAB has also been convened for next Tuesday by the board’s chair, the independent FA board member Heather Rabbatts – who has called the emails “unacceptable” – to discuss the issue.
Ms Rabbatts said the Premier League had been asked to respond on the issue. “As has been made clear in the letters from the chairman and general secretary, our view is these comments were totally inappropriate and unacceptable,” she added.
Pressure has been growing on both the FA and the Premier League since the emails, seen by a former temporary PA, were published after being leaked to The Sunday Mirror. A string of high-profile names from inside and outside of the game bemoaning the remarks.
The Minister for Sport, Helen Grant, has already branded the emails “completely unacceptable”. The Women in Football group have also asked for Mr Scudamore to consider his position.
In a statement following the publication of the emails, Mr Scudamore said they were “private” exchanges between colleagues and friends, but accepted they were inappropriate and added: “It was an error of judgment that I will not make again.”
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Ghosts of past cast a massive shadow
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, Ronda Rousey and more make their predictions
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
Kyle Walker video: Tottenham defender categorically denies 'disgusting' rumours on Facebook
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 1 Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
- 2 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 3 The confessions of men who ordered mail-order brides
- 4 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
- 5 Yazidi sex slaves undergoing surgery to 'restore virginity' after being raped by Isis militants
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds