Robbie Fowler joins team in Thailand
Friday 08 July 2011
Former England and Liverpool forward Robbie Fowler has joined Muangthong United and will be formally unveiled on Sunday, the Thai Premier League (TPL) club said in a statement today.
Fowler will have his medical on Saturday before the 36-year-old striker completes his surprise move to the Thai club, having quit A-League team Perth Glory in June saying he did not want to uproot his young family again for another season in Australia.
He would be officially unveiled as a Muangthong player at the club's stadium on Sunday, deputy chairman Wiluck Lohtong was quoted as saying on the club website (www.mtutd.tv).
Club officials could not be reached for further details about Fowler's contract.
According to a local media report, Fowler would be the seventh foreign recruit of the side, who won back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers