Robinho returns to training amid 'sex attack' claim

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Britain's most expensive footballer Robinho returned to training today after being quizzed by detectives over an alleged serious sexual assault on a woman.

The Manchester City forward issued a statement denying any "wrongdoing or criminality" after he was arrested by police investigating the alleged incident in a Leeds nightclub earlier this month.

West Yorkshire Police began an investigation after a student claimed she had been attacked at The Space club in the early hours of 14 January.

The small venue is in the heart of Leeds's city centre night life and is popular with students.

The force said detectives arrested a man yesterday and he was later released on bail.

A statement posted last night on the Brazilian international's official website said: "Robinho denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to co-operate with the police."

In the statement, Robinho's spokesman Chris Nathaniel said: "We can confirm that Robinho met the police today (Tuesday), as pre-arranged and as part of a criminal investigation.

"He strenuously denies any allegation of wrongdoing or criminality and is happy to co-operate with the police if required further."

Robinho, whose full name is Robson de Souza, was training with his teammates today at City's Carrington training ground.

The team faces Newcastle United tonight in a Premier League clash at the City of Manchester Stadium.

The 25-year-old joined Manchester City from Real Madrid in September for £32.5m - the biggest transfer deal in British history.

The move followed the £210m takeover of the club by Sheikh Mansour in September.

Earlier this month the star left the team's training camp in Tenerife for Brazil, citing an "important family matter".

He returned to Manchester on Sunday for training the following day.

The club has not commented on Robinho's arrest.

Comments