Rotherham's display lifts Moore

Click to follow

Ronnie Moore, the Rotherham manager, feels that his side showed they have what it takes to stay in the First Division after holding the high-flying Burnley to a 1-1 draw at Millmoor on Tuesday night.

The game was settled early in the first half by two penalties in the space of two minutes. Gareth Taylor put the visitors ahead in the ninth minute after Ian Moore had been brought down by Chris Swailes, only for Rotherham to level soon after when Kevin Ball felled John Mullin leaving Mark Robins to even matters.

The home side tried to keep up the pressure after the break, but were let down by their finishing. Nevertheless, Moore was in high spirits after seeing his side pick up another precious point in their battle to stay away from the relegation zone. "It's a point gained not two points lost against a side going for promotion who have spent a lot of money," said Moore. "I did not think there was much difference between the two sides. It was a great team effort and there was a great atmosphere and a lot of passion."

Brentford maintained their Second Division promotion hopes with a 2-1 victory against Cardiff at Griffin Park. Jason Bowen headed the visitors in front in the 19th minute, but Stephen Hunt and Ben Burgess found the net in the second half to seal the points for the Bees.

Tranmere stepped up their bid for a place in the top six as goals from the substitute Andy Parkinson and Wayne Allison gave Rovers a 2-0 win over Northampton.

Wycombe kept their outside hopes of a play-off place alive with a smash-and-grab win at Chesterfiled courtesy of Sean Devine's 52nd-minute strike.

In the Third Division, Adam Boyd scored his third goal in two games to give Hartlepool a 1-0 win at Bristol Rovers while Swansea fought back to end a run of eight games without a win by beating Kidderminster 2-1. Bo Henriksen put the Harriers ahead, only for Chris Todd and Neil Sharp to turn the game around after the break.

Promotion-chasing Mansfield beat Lincoln 4-1 at Sincil Bank. Wayne Corden, Lee Williamson (twice) and Martin Pemberton netted for the visitors, while Lee Thorpe briefly gave his side hope at the start of the second half.

An own-goal from Graham Mitchell cost Halifax the chance to drag York back into trouble at the foot of the table. Ian Fitzpatrick put the Shaymen in front but Mitchell nodded in just after the re-start.

Cheltenham extended their unbeaten run to 13 games with a comfortable 2-0 victory at Darlington courtesy of a Mark Yates penalty followed by a header from Julian Alsop, his 18th goal of the season.

Macclesfield ended their run of three straight defeats to earn a valuable point at Scunthorpe. The visitors went ahead through the full-back Steve Hitchen but Steve Torpey equalised in the second half.

Martin Bullock's golden goal sent Blackpool through to the final of the LDV Vans Trophy with a 4-3 aggregate win over Huddersfield. The Seasiders were down 2-0 after 90 minutes, making the overall score 3-3, but in the 13th minute of extra-time Bullock popped up at the far post to fire John Hills' cross into the roof of the net.

Wolves have been fined £2,500 by the Football Association after being found guilty of failing to exercise proper control during last month's derby against West Bromwich Albion.

The club were charged with misconduct after a challenge by the Albion midfielder Jordão on Alex Rae led to a mass brawl at the match on 2 December.

The Albion manager, Dave Jones, who attended the hearing, said: "I am very disappointed and I think the fine is a token gesture."

The York City Supporters' Trust have organised a football tournament on Hackney Marshes to highlight the plight of the cash-strapped club. The event will be held on Sunday, 24 February in the wake of the board's decision to put the club up for sale, with the threat of imminent closure should a buyer not be found.