Sam Wallace: Aston Villa's Matt Lowton proves it's worth scouting in lower leagues
Matt Lowton is one of those players who came to the Premier League along what has become, in recent times, a less well-travelled route.
He played in Sheffield United’s academy, appears to have been ignored at junior level for England, including the Under-21s, and, having been signed by Aston Villa in the summer, will complete his first Premier League season before he turns 24 in June.
Lowton has, famously, played every minute of every league game this season for Villa and on Saturday scored a fabulous goal against Stoke City. He is proof that with good scouting of the Football League, and a bit of faith, good players are out there.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are