Sam Wallace: One-horse Premier League race will not gallop into next season
The Manchester derby will be engrossing when the occasion finally arrives tonight. Even in spite of the 15-point gap, City will raise their game and United will consider a victory an essential part of their 20th title.
But, for all that, it is not the game that the Premier League hoped it would be. Not even close.
It has been a dismal season in terms of the level of competition for the title, especially in these final stages of the season, and Chelsea and Arsenal have to take some blame for that as well as City. But these things tend to be transitory. Next season will be different and from what Sir Alex Ferguson has been saying, he acknowledges that too.
interviewTrudie Styler, the producer and activist, whose film 'Filth' is up for five British film awards, is tapping into the industry's neglected female talent
Black Sabbath have pulled off one of rock music’s great comebacks – against all odds
Theatre's hitmaker Daniel Evans on 'Oliver' and bringing 'The Full Monty' to the stage
Her estate has become the nation's glossiest food empire
Michelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
Parents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
Holly Williams joins the staff at the online grocer Ocado ahead of the last-minute Christmas-food rush at the firm's mammoth warehouse
For broadcaster Mishal Husain, a long-haul Club Med holiday was a chance for her family to explore its sense of 'zen' and 'animation'
Festive snacks don't have to be fiddly
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail