Sepp Blatter wants Fifa to move on from corruption scandal

FIFA president Sepp Blatter will today try to draw a line under the corruption scandal that has engulfed football's world governing body.

Blatter is due to make a public statement following a meeting of FIFA's executive committee that has been called to discuss the outcome of yesterday's ethics committee punishments and the technical reports on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidders.

Six officials have been banned for a number of offences resulting out of the Sunday Times investigation but the outcome has re-awakened fears of a backlash against England's 2018 bid.

Nigeria's Amos Adamu became the first FIFA member ever to be banned for bribery - he was suspended for three years and fined 10,000 Swiss francs.

England 2018 have previously admitted the Sunday Times and BBC Panorama investigations have caused them significant harm, and furthermore England's 2018 rivals Spain/Portugal were cleared of colluding with 2022 Qatar in a vote-swapping deal.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said the sanctions stood as a warning to anyone tempted to break the rules, but admitted that he could not guarantee the World Cup bidding process is free of collusion.

Valcke said: "Am I'm sure that 2018 and 2022 free of any collusion? I can't answer this question - I don't vote and I have no idea what the discussions are between various members.

"As the FIFA president said before, having two World Cup being bid for at same time opened the door to such conversations between executive committee members - particularly as you have eight bids involved who have executive members in the room.

"I hope that what's happened here in the last three days shows people should be careful of entering into any situation which is forbidden."

Adamu was found guilty of asking for money in return for his World Cup vote - he asked undercover investigators to channel cash for a project through a family company.

The Nigerian's fellow executive committee member Reynald Temarii from Tahiti was suspended for a year and fined 5,000 Swiss francs for breaching rules on loyalty and confidentiality.

Neither man will be able to take part in the 2018 and 2022 World Cup votes on December 2 - only 22 executive members will now take those decisions.

Four other FIFA officials, all former executive committee members, have also received bans of between two and four years.