Sir Alex Ferguson autobiography: Ryan Giggs? Jaap Stam? Wayne Rooney? Roy Keane? The best of the 45 inaccuracies
Multiple errors found by eagle-eye readers in the best-selling book
Monday 18 November 2013
So one customer will get a full refund (on return of the book) after at least 45 factual inaccuracies have been found in Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography, aptly titled My Autobiography.
Here are some of the best errors which have made the cut in the book, which sold 115,547 copies in its first week on sale:
“…transfer of Jaap Stam to Roma and Massimo Taibi to Reggina”
- Jaap Stam moved to Lazio, Taibi did, however, move to Reggina
Jaap Stam was sold to Lazio in 2001, not Roma "Awarding him with his first-team debut at 16 landed us with a problem we had not expected: the Giggs phenomenon.”
- Ryan Giggs was in fact 17 when he made his Manchester United debut
“We had 11 years out of Roy”
- Roy Keane played for Manchester United for over 12 years
Alex Ferguson and Roy Keane celebrate winning the league in 2001 Rio Ferdinand excelled against Manchester City in the semi-final second leg [of the Carling Cup] in 2009 at Old Trafford
- This match was in 2010, not 2009
- Ferguson claimed in the book to have had his pacemaker fitted in 2002, but the procedure was done in 2004
“From the moment Manchester United became a Plc in 1990”
- Manchester United became a public limited company in 1991
“[Wayne Rooney] was then picked by Sven-Goran Eriksson for the vital World Cup qualifier against Turkey"
- The match in question, Rooney’s first England start was a Euro, not World Cup qualifier
Ryan Giggs (left) clashes with Salomon Kalou during the 2008 final “The penultimate Chelsea kick, which Salomon Kalou took, when Edwin dived to his left...”
- In the Champions League final in 2008, Edwin van der Sar dived to his right for Kalou’s successful penalty
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Jose Mourinho dismisses United injury worries, saying 'they have an amazing squad'
Aaron Hernandez: American Football in the dock as NFL star player's murderous double life is revealed
Chelsea vs Manchester United: Why Blues are the least popular team in the league
Arsene Wenger compares talk of Jurgen Klopp replacing him at Arsenal to a 'circus'
Chelsea vs Manchester United combined XI: Thibaut Courtois or David De Gea? Juan Mata or Willian? Who makes our team?
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'