Sponsor likely to desert England after World Cup disappointment
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Tuesday 06 July 2010
The financial fallout from England's embarrassing World Cup is set to see them lose their flagship sponsor amid claims that the Football Association face an immediate struggle to attract blue-riband backers given the combination of the team's failure in South Africa and the current financial climate.
Nationwide's deal runs out at the end of this month – most of the national side's sponsorship deals are done on a four-yearly cycle to coincide with World Cup finals – and the building society says that it is "unlikely to be renewed." The company had offered the FA a £20m four-year deal ahead of the tournament, but that was rejected as the governing body believed they could do better.
It follows the downgrading of National Express's sponsorship from "supporter" to "supplier" and adds to the FA's financial concerns with the burden of Wembley and a likely reduction in value of its broadcasting contract to come.
The decision not to accept Nationwide's original offer was an "extensive error" according to one leading international brand consultant. "The relationship the fans have with England, and the FA, has been damaged by the World Cup," said Graham Hales, the London CEO of Interbrand. "The Nationwide brand risks looking out of touch if it is based around a football team we are out of love with at the moment.
"The FA face a difficult time right now in producing value for sponsors' brands. The appeal of the national side is as bad as in recent memory."
As Voltaire once said, “Ice cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn’t illegal”
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal joins Arsenal and Chelsea in the race for Sami Khedira
Mario Balotelli takes 50 per cent pay cut to join Liverpool as Samuel as Eto’o waits in the wings if deal falls through
Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
Click here for the full story." title="When a youngster asked for an autograph outside Manchester City's training ground, Balotelli demanded to know why the boy was playing truant. After the child revealed he was being bullied, Balotelli drove the boy and his mother to the school in question so he could tackle the bully himself. He demanded to see the headmaster to make him aware of the issue and then mediated between the two boys to resolve the problem. A source said: 'Mario feels strongly about bullying.' Click here for the full story." width="88" height="52" />Mario Balotelli: The funniest stories
- 1 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 2 Mother fed her daughter tapeworms to make her skinny for pageant
- 3 Crystal Palace next manager latest: Palace consider Ally McCoist - EXCLUSIVE
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile