The greatest relegation escapes
Wednesday 18 May 2011
As we head into the final day of the Premier League season, five teams remain under threat from relegation.
The players of Blackburn, Wolves, Birmingham, Blackpool and Wigan will kick-off at 4pm on Sunday knowing their top-flight status is at stake, along with a chance to enter folklore among their club's fans. With this in mind we bring you some of the greatest escape acts since Houdini.
As this guide will prove, don't discount anyone and expect the unexpected as the Premier League nears its conclusion.
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police