The Highlight Reel: A big hand for Luis Suarez
Tuesday 06 July 2010
At least Maarten Stekelenburg, the Dutch keeper, can see the funny side of Luis Suarez's goalmouth handball, which cost Ghana victory against Uruguay. The lanky Dutchman, whose side play Uruguay in the semi-final, sent his Ajax team mate a cheeky text message. "I sent him a text message saying that he has been the best goalkeeper of the tournament", he said. "I think he should get the Lev Yashin Award."
Wenger still feeling Bleu
Frenchman Arsène Wenger has named his team of the tournament so far and – quelle surprise! – it contains not a single Frenchman.
The recriminations in the Brazil camp just get nastier: now Ronaldo, a World Cup legend, has chastised defender Felipe Melo via his Twitter account. It was Melo, you recall, who scored an own goal and then got himself sent off in the quarter-final against Holland by stamping on Arjen Robben. "Felipe Melo better not come to Brazil for his holidays", Ronaldo tweeted. "I don't understand the lack of communication between Melo and [goalkeeper] Julio Cesar. When he comes out Julio always shouts, but this time both men went for the ball."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
- 5 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans