Video: Brazilian football masseur saves two shots in final minutes of semi-final playoff before being chased off the pitch
Team masseur runs onto pitch in a fourth division match in Brazil
Monday 09 September 2013
Brazilian national football has its fair share of comical videos, and this latest one is up there with the best of them.
Aparecidence looked certain to concede a last-gasp winner to fourth division rivals Tupi when their goalkeeper came rushing out, but at the last second the team masseur ran onto the pitch to prevent the ball from crossing the line not once, but twice!
He then fled the pitch in fear of his safety as rival players and backroom staff attempted to catch him, with a kick being aimed in his direction as he leapt over the advertising boards to make a swift exit.
To rub salt into the wounds, Aparecidence progressed from the semi-final playoff due to the away goals rule as officials refused to award Tupi a goal, meaning the match finished 2-2.
However, it is believed that Tupi officials plan to take the matter to court to get the decision overturned.
Latest in Sport
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc