West Ham to appear before an FA arbitral tribunal to contest the three-match ban handed to Andy Carroll decision
The club have confirmed that they will face the tribunal but have no plans to take the matter to a court
Friday 07 February 2014
West Ham will today appear before a Football Association arbitral tribunal to challenge Andy Carroll's three-match suspension.
The Hammers are unhappy that the England striker's ban - a consequence of being sent off against Swansea last week - was not overturned.
Co-owner David Gold said on Thursday that his club were seeking "legal redress" over the matter, although a statement on West Ham's official website this morning ruled out any sort of court action.
"West Ham United are today (Friday) appearing before an FA Arbitral Tribunal in a challenge to the FA Regulatory Commission's decision relating to the three-match suspension of Andy Carroll," it read.
"The club is concerned that the Regulatory Commission did not apply the correct test under the rule, and denied the club procedural fairness.
"West Ham's complaint is made under the FA Rules, and the club shall accept and abide by the decision of the FA Arbitral Tribunal.
"The club has no intention of taking the issue to the courts, but simply seeks a fair determination of its rights under the FA's Rules."
Referee Howard Webb made the decision to send off the striker after a clash with Swansea's Chico Flores.
Carroll is now facing a three-match ban and Gold said that could mean the difference between relegation and top-flight survival.
Gold said on Thursday: "We are hugely disappointed at the outcome of the process.
"There is nowhere to go other than to seek some kind of legal redress. It's not ideal, the last thing I want to do is go to some kind of legal issue because I think it is a footballing issue.
"But we are fighting for our lives. If we were mid-table we would probably get on with it but we are fighting for our lives to retain our Premier League status and we owe it to our fans, we owe it to ourselves."
Hammers manager Sam Allardyce said at his press conference this morning: "My reaction to Andy's red card was one of injustice. Unfortunately the panel has not seen it as they should have.
"In this case we based our procedure on whether it was an obvious mistake (to send him off) and I'm 100 per cent certain it was an obvious mistake.
"I hope that common sense prevails. If there's a decision today hopefully it's a positive one."
Latest in Sport
Phil Neville and his fellow Match of the Day pundits given warning by the BBC after 'smash them' comment
Manchester United transfer news and rumours: David De Gea could leave for FREE; £38m for Marquinhos; £37m bid for Mats Hummels;
Transfer news LIVE: Manchester United to make £37m Mats Hummels bid; Inter plan Yaya Toure move; Shola Ameobi joins Crystal Palace
Gabriel Paulista: Talented Brazilian could grow into world-class defender at Arsenal
Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Mario Balotelli's agent speaks as Brendan Rodgers swoops for German duo
- 2 Russian girl takes her own life after parents find pornography on her computer
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia