World Cup vote to go ahead says Sepp Blatter
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has confirmed the vote to decide who will host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups is to take place as scheduled on December 2.
The decision was taken at this week's executive committee meeting in Zurich, despite two members serving a suspension following allegations of corruption.
"We are five weeks from the final decision so there was never a question of changing anything in the procedure," said Blatter.
"So on December 2, here in Zurich, the executive committee of FIFA will decide in a secret ballot the national associations who are hosts for the World Cup 2018 and 2022."
Blatter announced FIFA's ethics committee will make their final ruling over Nigerian Amos Adamu and Tahiti's Reynald Temarii on November 17.
If the pair are suspended for the December 2 vote, they will not be replaced and only 22 members will take part in a secret ballot to decide the host nations for the two tournaments.
"This is an uncomfortable situation for FIFA but we must say that inside FIFA we have the necessary instruments to react properly," said Blatter.
"The ethics committee are addressing a case that involves allegations of possible corruption. We will deal with them according to current regulations.
"If and when people are suspended for the vote on December 2 they will not be replaced."
England are competing for the right to host the 2018 tournament with Russia and joint bids from Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium.
Australia, Qatar, Japan/South Korea and the United States are bidding to host the 2022 World Cup.
Blatter admitted it had been a mistake to run both bids at the same time.
"We have asked ourselves whether it has been wise to have a double bid for the two World Cups," he said.
"I have expressed my concern that the decision to put the World Cups together was a good decision. I take responsibility for that and I it was not the right thing to do.
"We are in a situation now where we have to go on."
Latest in Sport
Today’s St James Palace looks a cracker and there has been sustained money for Dawn Approach since t...
by Gareth Purnell
18 June 2013 02:01 AM
Newcastle don’t need a football director – they need a new medical team after finishing bottom of the injury league
Newcastle United have shocked their fans by appointing Joe Kinnear as director of football but new f...
by Alex Miller
17 June 2013 04:39 PM
Italy come here with pretty much a full strength squad and can be very relaxed about their World Cup...
by Gareth Purnell
15 June 2013 02:01 AM
Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
Chelsea go for £10m Frenchman Geoffrey Kondogbia
The best and worst Premier League kits for the 2013/14 season
Arsenal in pole position to sign Gonzalo Higuain as Juventus turn their attention to Carlos Tevez
Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 1 Alan Pardew's warning to Joe Kinnear: I am still the Newcastle manager
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria