World Cup Watch: Blasts from the past
In anticipation of the World Cup, The Independent is running down the key people and factors to keep an eye out for in South Africa with our World Cup Watch series.
From free-kick takers to WAGs, blasts from the past to the youngsters, we'll have it all covered before things kick-off in Johannesburg.
Here, we take a look at the blasts from the past. These are the cult heroes whom you could be forgiven for thinking had retired. But instead of kicking back on a beach, they'll be taking centre stage in South Africa.
Latest in Sport
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services