£11m signing Gary Medel ruled out for several weeks for Cardiff
The Chile international joined in the summer
Monday 17 February 2014
Cardiff's record signing Gary Medel has announced he will be out of action for several weeks through injury.
Medel, an £11million capture from Seville last summer, was replaced at half-time of Saturday's 2-1 FA Cup fifth-round defeat at home to Wigan.
The 26-year-old Chile international later posted pictures of himself on social networking site Instagram undergoing a scan.
Medel added a post which read: "Well, this is football. A tear, I am out for several weeks. (I hope) to recover as quickly as possible."
Medel's absence comes at a crucial point in the season as Cardiff aim to avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are currently one place and two points off the bottom of the table, with 12 matches remaining.
Latest in Sport
- 1 This 'woman calls police to order pizza' story isn't going where you're expecting
- 2 Axe wielding man shot dead after attacking four New York policemen on busy street
- 3 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 4 Jimmy Carr's Oscar Pistorius joke goes a bit too far at the Q Awards
- 5 Ottawa shootings: Bruce MacKinnon's cartoon is the perfect tribute to soldier Nathan Cirillo
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
Poppy Appeal 2014: This is why I won't be wearing a red poppy this year