Alex Ferguson admits mistake in not signing Joe Hart for Manchester United
Monday 20 February 2012
Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has recognised he missed a trick in failing to sign England goalkeeper Joe Hart for a bargain £100,000 earlier in his career.
Hart, now 24, joined wealthy rivals Manchester City in 2006 from League Two Shrewsbury Town after United passed up the opportunity to secure his services.
"I could have bought Joe Hart for £100,000 so we all make mistakes," Ferguson told BBC radio in an interview to be broadcast later today.
"If you look at the England goalkeeper situation for the last 20 years, I would think he's easily the best," added the Scot who signed the now-retired Dutch keeper Edwin van der Sar in 2005.
United have struggled to find a replacement since Van der Sar retired last year while Hart has been a rock in goal for Premier League leaders City.
Ferguson, who turned 70 in December, has been in the hot seat at Old Trafford for 25 years during which he has won 12 top-flight titles, two European Cups and five FA Cups. He has spoken of staying on for another three years.
"I think you always want to go out on a winning note," he told the BBC.
"Hopefully we can do that. I don't know how long I can last now but if my health stays up I don't think another two or three years would harm me."
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail