Allardyce waits on medical in Dunn deal

Click to follow

Sam Allardyce has confirmed that Bolton are in negotiations to make David Dunn their first signing of the transfer window. The Wanderers manager hopes to conclude a deal to bring the Birmingham midfielder to the Reebok Stadium over the weekend.

Dunn's career has been plagued by injury and Allardyce is keeping his fingers crossed the player passes a medical.

"David had a very severe back problem a couple of years ago. That's been dealt with by surgery," Allardyce said. "Steve [Bruce, the Birmingham manager] has decided to move him on for whatever reason and our concern would be the medical.

"After the medical, as long as the financial negotiations continue, we can get to a conclusion on that. I hope there's nothing from the medical side to stop this transfer."

Bruce added: "It will be an amicable goodbye. As long as I get the money I am looking for, it will be amicable! It's a shame Dunny has had so many injury problems here because he is a special player, someone who is part of a dying breed, and in his first few months here you saw the influence he can have on a team."

Elsewhere, Tottenham's non-executive director Sir Keith Mills said the club need to look at increasing their stadium capacity if they are to fulfil their potential.

"I hope to build the club both domestically and internationally," he said. "Spurs have big potential. Look, there are some 30,000 fans on the waiting list for season tickets. There are pockets of interest internationally but clearly we do have to have an international footprint and the big clubs all aspire to have a fan base outside the United Kingdom.

"Tottenham need, however, to improve the capacity of the stadium. To reach their aspirations they have to have something north of 50,000 seats. It is whether they stay where they are and develop - or find somewhere else and move. In the next five years Spurs will have to look at these stadium options."

Anton Ferdinand appeared in court yesterday charged with assault and violent disorder. The West Ham defender appeared before Redbridge Magistrates Court, where his case was committed to Crown Court.