Alvaro Negredo injury latest: Manchester City striker expected to miss three months

The Spain international has undergone surgery

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini expects striker Alvaro Negredo to miss up to three months after having surgery on his broken metatarsal.

The Spanish striker had revealed the injury by posting a picture of his protective boot on social media on Monday, having been hurt in last Friday's 2-1 friendly victory over Hearts in Edinburgh.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of the club's match against Sporting Kansas City - the first of their pre-season tour of the United States - Pellegrini said Negredo had undergone surgery on his fifth metatarsal in his right foot.

"Alvaro had surgery today on his broken foot and he will probably be out for two or three months," he said.

"It is a blow for us because Alvaro is a very important member of our squad so obviously we will miss him."

The 28-year-old Negredo joined City from Sevilla a year ago in a £16million-plus deal and quickly became a fans' favourite after making an immediate impact.

He scored an impressive 23 goals in his first 33 games in all competitions, including City's first Champions League hat-trick in the 5-2 win over CSKA Moscow.

However, from mid-January onwards he began to struggle after a shoulder injury and in 16 subsequent matches up to the end of the season he failed to score, which put additional pressure on City's other strikers and midfielder Yaya Toure to come up with the goals which secured them a second Premier League title in three years.

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini holds the Premier League trophy with captain Vincent Kompany Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini holds the Premier League trophy with captain Vincent Kompany  

Earlier in the summer City manager Manuel Pellegrini was reported to be willing to listen to offers for the striker and Negredo was linked with a move back to Spain to rejoin former club Real Madrid for a second time, but his injury setback looks to have ended that prospect.

 

However, Pellegrini hinted the club have not yet finished in the transfer market, with a move for Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala still expected, while several fringe players could leave.

"I don't think the squad is complete yet but we have six weeks before the transfer window closes," Pellegrini said.

"Perhaps there is the option to bring one or more players in or maybe one or two will leave our squad but there is time for us to consider what is best for our team."

PA

Suggested Topics
Voices
voices
News
general electionThis quiz matches undecided voters with the best party for them
Life and Style
Men with beards rejoice: Your beard probably doesn't harbour faeces-like bacteria
health
Arts and Entertainment
Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen starred in the big screen adaptation of Austen's novel in 2005
tvStar says studios are forcing actors to get buff for period roles
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Caption competition
Caption competition
  • Get to the point
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?

Bleacher Report

Daily Quiz
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

Day In a Page

Fishing for votes with Nigel Farage: The Ukip leader shows how he can work an audience as he casts his line to the disaffected of Grimsby

Fishing is on Nigel Farage's mind

Ukip leader casts a line to the disaffected
Who is bombing whom in the Middle East? It's amazing they don't all hit each other

Who is bombing whom in the Middle East?

Robert Fisk untangles the countries and factions
China's influence on fashion: At the top of the game both creatively and commercially

China's influence on fashion

At the top of the game both creatively and commercially
Lord O’Donnell: Former cabinet secretary on the election and life away from the levers of power

The man known as GOD has a reputation for getting the job done

Lord O'Donnell's three principles of rule
Rainbow shades: It's all bright on the night

Rainbow shades

It's all bright on the night
'It was first time I had ever tasted chocolate. I kept a piece, and when Amsterdam was liberated, I gave it to the first Allied soldier I saw'

Bread from heaven

Dutch survivors thank RAF for World War II drop that saved millions
Britain will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power - Labour

How 'the Axe' helped Labour

UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power
Rare and exclusive video shows the horrific price paid by activists for challenging the rule of jihadist extremists in Syria

The price to be paid for challenging the rule of extremists

A revolution now 'consuming its own children'
Welcome to the world of Megagames

Welcome to the world of Megagames

300 players take part in Watch the Skies! board game in London
'Nymphomaniac' actress reveals what it was really like to star in one of the most explicit films ever

Charlotte Gainsbourg on 'Nymphomaniac'

Starring in one of the most explicit films ever
Robert Fisk in Abu Dhabi: The Emirates' out-of-sight migrant workers helping to build the dream projects of its rulers

Robert Fisk in Abu Dhabi

The Emirates' out-of-sight migrant workers helping to build the dream projects of its rulers
Vince Cable interview: Charging fees for employment tribunals was 'a very bad move'

Vince Cable exclusive interview

Charging fees for employment tribunals was 'a very bad move'
Iwan Rheon interview: Game of Thrones star returns to his Welsh roots to record debut album

Iwan Rheon is returning to his Welsh roots

Rheon is best known for his role as the Bastard of Bolton. It's gruelling playing a sadistic torturer, he tells Craig McLean, but it hasn't stopped him recording an album of Welsh psychedelia
Morne Hardenberg interview: Cameraman for BBC's upcoming show Shark on filming the ocean's most dangerous predator

It's time for my close-up

Meet the man who films great whites for a living
Increasing numbers of homeless people in America keep their mobile phones on the streets

Homeless people keep mobile phones

A homeless person with a smartphone is a common sight in the US. And that's creating a network where the 'hobo' community can share information - and fight stigma - like never before