Andre Villas-Boas calls on Tottenham to maintain momentum
Spurs currently sit fourth in the Premier League table
Friday 28 December 2012
Andre Villas-Boas has called on Tottenham to open up a gap on their rivals so that they do not slip away and miss out on Champions League football again.
Tottenham travel to Sunderland tomorrow looking to cement their place in the top four after an inconsistent first half of the season under their Portuguese manager.
Despite being fourth in the table, Spurs have failed to show the consistency they exhibited last season. The Londoners have squandered nine points by conceding late goals and their season has been characterised by often nervy and unconvincing home displays.
Wary that just five points separate Tottenham from eighth-place Stoke, Villas-Boas knows his team must go on a winning run to separate themselves from the likes of Everton, Arsenal and West Brom, who lurk just below them.
Although Chelsea's victory in Munich proved to be the final nail in Tottenham's Champions League dream, they could have secured qualification much earlier had they not fallen away in the second half of last season under Harry Redknapp and Villas-Boas does not want a repeat this time around.
"At the moment everyone is packed together, which is very dangerous," the Tottenham manager said.
"What we want to do is have a stronger second half to the season than last year.
"We have to continue our progress to hopefully open a gap between us and the rest of the teams that sit near the top.
"Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United will compete for the title between them.
"For the top four Everton are there, Liverpool will come back strongly definitely and there is always a surprise team - last year it was Newcastle, this year it is West Brom. What you want is to finally settle into the top four, opening up some kind of gap if possible."
One complaint Villas-Boas cannot have is the way his team have performed on the road this season.
Spurs have won five away games, the latest one being Saturday's 4-0 crushing of Aston Villa.
In Sunderland, Villas-Boas knows Spurs will come up against one of the form teams in the league, however.
The Black Cats have flirted with the relegation zone for much of the season, but they are now seven points clear after wins over Reading, Southampton and champions Manchester City.
Villas-Boas said: "Their form is improving. They have come out a little bit from that pressure zone and in some ways we would have been better off playing them a couple of weeks ago.
"It is a major boost of confidence for them, so we will expect an extremely difficult game.
"It is always difficult playing there, particularly when they have just won against the champions. They can't find better inspiration than that.
"We are on a good run, but we expect a run for our money, a difficult game.
"Hopefully we can get this festive period out of the way with good results."
Gareth Bale was key to Tottenham's victory at Villa Park, where he put in a stunning display to leave with the matchball following a classy hat-trick.
Reports in Spain continue to circulate that Bale will move to Real Madrid in January, but Villas-Boas has repeatedly stated that he will not sell the talented winger.
The Portuguese is more likely to ship out back-up players David Bentley, Heurelho Gomes, Tom Huddlestone and Carlo Cudicini in January.
And the 35-year-old is also sticking to his line that there will be no new arrivals at White Hart Lane in the transfer window.
"Regarding January, I think it is very unlikely that we would do anything," Villas-Boas added.
Clint Dempsey and Huddlestone could return to the fold for tomorrow's lunch-time kick-off after missing the win at Villa due to their respective groin and knee injuries.
Latest in Sport
William Carvalho to Arsenal? Gunners make new enquiry for £35m rated midfielder
Manchester United transfer news: More signings expected, indicates Ed Woodward
WWE Battleground 2014 results: John Cena and The Miz are the big winners on a night to forget in Tampa, Florida
Liverpool transfer news: Loic Remy, Dejan Lovren and Divock Origi on verge of Anfield moves
Manchester City transfer news: Completed summer deals
- 1 Husband creates spreadsheet detailing wife's 'excuses' for turning down sex
- 2 UK pirates will get four warning letters a year
- 3 Saneie Masilela, 9, marries Helen Shabangu, 53 years his senior, for the second time
- 4 Time runs out for Christian Iraq: Isis deadline passes with mass flight
- 5 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Obama - 'We’re going to make sure that truth gets out'