Andre Villas-Boas emerges as favourite to land Liverpool job, but refuses to be rushed
Andre Villas-Boas wants a “project” to re-enter football for, but will require a detailed knowledge of the terms and demands attached to the new Liverpool manager’s job before committing to the club.
Villas-Boas is emerging as a prime contender for the position vacated by the dismissal of Kenny Dalglish last week, with a meeting this week to involve him, his agent Carlos Goncalves and Liverpool ’s owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG).
But despite his interest in Liverpool and theirs in him – revealed by The Independent last Thursday - Villas-Boas will not be rushed. After his traumatic nine-month experience at Chelsea, he will seek assurances about the new structure FSG are putting in place and the resources available for what the Americans view as an entire restructuring after 18 months of ownership at Anfield. On his arrival yesterday at the Portuguese Cup Final between Academica and Sporting, the 34-year-old said: “I'm still choosing the right project and that decision will take the necessary time.” Of his former side’s winning the Champions League, he added: ”The biggest award is to win the Champions League. Congratulations to Di Matteo and the players.“
He and Roberto Martinez would appear to be front-runners at this stage. Liverpool have now made contact with the Wigan Athletic manager, who was scheduled to depart on holiday yesterday. He may break that holiday to meet FSG.
Villas-Boas has been extremely interested in the Liverpool manager’s position, ever since initial soundings were taken with Goncalves before Dalglish’s dismissal. It was made clear to him from the start that there would be other possible contenders, as the Americans embarked on their process of identifying a number of candidates. FSG first want to replace the successors to director of football Damien Comolli - rather than create the impression they are undermining the new manager by appointing them afterwards. The replacement of Comolli is likely to occur in the next two weeks, in line with the timeframe managing director Ian Ayre has put in place. There may even be Anfield executive appointments this week.
Didier Deschamps' representatives have indicated that he has not been approached by Liverpool, despite a desire to manage in England and the conclusion of a difficult season, from a personal perspective at Marseilles. The side have struggled and the fans have been on his back. Deschamps, who has two years left on his contract and who was approached by Liverpool before Roy Hodgson's appointment was confirmed, has not demonstrated the collegiate qualities FSG appear to be looking for, however. He has been unable to work with the director of football at Marseilles, José Anigo, with whom he has had a fractured relationship.
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut