Aston Villa win pre-season friendly against Portland Timbers on penalties
Wednesday 25 July 2012
Aston Villa needed a penalty shootout to win their pre-season friendly against Portland Timbers after the game ended in a 2-2 draw.
Villa won the shootout 5-4 in Oregon after goals from Ciaran Clark and Matthew Lowton had twice given the visitors the lead against their Major League Soccer opponents.
But Sebastian Rincon and then Rodney Wallace drew the home side level before the game was decided by penalties.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail