Barcelona to continue Fabregas pursuit
Friday 04 June 2010
Barcelona president Joan Laporta is still hopeful of persuading Arsenal to part with Cesc Fabregas despite having a 35million offer for the Spain international rejected this week.
Fabregas has long been linked with a return to Barca, the club where he plied his trade as a youngster before moving to the Gunners seven years ago.
The 23-year-old is under contract to Arsenal until the summer of 2015 but last month expressed his desire to head back to the Nou Camp at a promotional event in the Catalan capital.
Barca are keen to make that wish become reality, and on Tuesday submitted a written offer to Arsenal that Laporta has said was worth 35million euros.
Laporta said: "It's a price that we consider to be his market value. Arsenal have rejected it. Now the sporting director (Txiki Begiristain) must decide what should be the next step.
"We are in negotiations and we'll see how they turn out. At times, these operations are resolved at one speed, and others at another.
"We have to do everything we can to convince them (Arsenal) that the best thing for all is to reach an agreement," Laporta was quoted as saying by Spanish daily AS.
The outgoing Barca president remains optimistic the Primera Division champions will be able to secure the services of the Arsenal skipper, but admits it may not be easy persuading the Gunners to let their prize asset leave.
"The club have full confidence that Arsenal will end up understanding the situation," Laporta was quoted as saying on his club's website.
Laporta also feels that the ideal situation for Fabregas would be to "have the transfer closed as soon as possible, before the start of the World Cup".
"But it will be difficult because Arsenal are entitled to stand firm and that must be respected."
Laporta also played down suggestions that Fabregas could invoke FIFA's Article 17 rule to force his exit from the Emirates Stadium.
Article 17 regards compensation for breach of contract.
"I'm not sure if Cesc will take this course, but we want to find an agreement by talking with Arsenal," said Laporta.
"We respect Arsenal a lot, we must have in-depth dialogue and follow this path."
Latest in Sport
Pedro to Manchester United: Transfer news live - Angel Di Maria to PSG, John Stones to Chelsea, £100m Gareth Bale bid
Watch Petr Cech, Francis Coquelin, Olivier Giroud and Mathieu Debuchy photobomb Arsenal fans
Premier League 2015/16 preview: Club-by-club guide to the new season
Manchester United and Adidas branded 'sexist' and 'discriminatory' as women's shirt features plunging neckline and different design
Can Arsenal win the Premier League? Is Raheem Sterling the answer to Man City's problems? Can anything stop Chelsea?
- 1 Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
- 2 Malaysia issues arrest warrant for Gordon Brown’s sister-in-law after she publishes stories on leader Najib Razak's financial affairs
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 Sex with robots will be ‘the norm’ in 50 years
- 5 Barack Obama turns 54: US President's best put downs to celebrate his birthday
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Labour leadership race: Jeremy Corbyn could be the next Prime Minister, says Ken Clarke