The last seven days have been pretty turbulent at Tottenham, but the next five may be calmer after Dimitar Berbatov, their sought-after striker, said yesterday he is happy to remain at White Hart Lane. Although, in true Spurs fashion, he added a twist with the words "at least for now".
The Bulgarian forward has been linked with a move to Manchester United, but now insists there will be no move before Friday's transfer deadline. "This is unlikely for two reasons," he told the Bulgarian publication Futbol. "First, no one from United has talked to either me or my agent and, secondly, my club hasn't received any official transfer request. So I think that there is nothing to discuss on this subject.
"I chose Tottenham and I stay at Tottenham. I alone chose to play at Tottenham last season and I remain in Tottenham on my own bidding, at least for now, while my contract is in place."
Asked if he thought Sir Alex Ferguson's reported interest in him was genuine, he replied: "This is something different. No one said that United are not interested in me at all, or in the price they need to pay for me, but there won't be any transfer this autumn."
Berbatov went close to scoring against United three times during Spurs' 1-0 defeat on Sunday, which added to the pressure on his manager, Martin Jol. The chairman, Daniel Levy, backed Jol last week after the club were criticised after a delegation met the Seville manager Juande Ramos and, according to Ramos, offered him Jol's job.
Berbatov also claimed that "because of the media saga Jol firmed up his place as a manager of Tottenham," and added that the speculation over his own future had led to a salary increase. "The board decided to raise my weekly salary, not by much, but there is a raise," he said.Reuse content