Birmingham wait on Aston Villa approach for Alex McLeish
Birmingham are still waiting to receive an official approach from Aston Villa to speak to Alex McLeish - before the battle to thrash out a compensation package can get under way in earnest.
McLeish resigned as Blues boss on Sunday and the Scot has been the favourite with the bookmakers to replace Gerard Houllier at Villa.
Press Association Sport understands City will be seeking the full £5.4 million due in compensation for the remaining two years of McLeish's contract at the time he quit.
This figure will be reduced to £3 million on July 1 but City will demand the amount that was due on the date McLeish ended his three-and-a-half-year reign.
McLeish, who is currently on holiday, is considering a case of constructive dismissal against Blues.
His relationship with City owner Carson Yeung became increasingly strained last season.
Such action by McLeish could drag on, as was the case when Martin O'Neill left Villa last August and did not settle the matter for nine months.
But bringing such a case against Birmingham will not mean Villa can automatically escape paying compensation to their midlands rivals for the remainder of McLeish's contract.
Any such action taken by McLeish against Birmingham would run alongside any battle between the two clubs over the former Rangers manager.
Certain sections of Villa fans continue to make it clear they do not want McLeish as manager.
Jonathan Fear, editor of the Vital Villa fans' website, said: "I would fear for the atmosphere and attendances at Villa Park if Alex McLeish is appointed manager.
"I've got friends who are adamant they will return their season tickets if McLeish is appointed.
"McLeish is a tough bloke but no matter how thick skinned you are, it will be a tough sell for him to win over the Villa fans."
Villa are keen to make an appointment as soon as possible so McLeish - or any new manager - can be in place before the players report back for pre-season training on July 7.
But Birmingham are also stepping up their attempts to find a replacement for McLeish.
Birmingham chairman Peter Pannu said: "I am discussing the situation with Carson and we hope to install the new man as soon as possible.
"There are at least six (candidates) on the radar."
Former Newcastle boss Hughton is the number one choice of Birmingham fans in a poll conducted by the Birmingham Mail newspaper.
But Roberto Di Matteo and Gianfranco Zola are also free agents after their previous spells at West Brom and West Ham respectively.
Blues are set to complete the signing of Morgaro Gomis from Dundee United on a free transfer despite McLeish's departure.
Pannu said: "Gomis is still coming in to Birmingham."
City have also received an inquiry from Sunderland over midfielder Craig Gardner but the club insist no bid has been made so far.
Latest in Sport
Hector Bellerin: How saying no to Barcelona paid off for Bellerin - and Arsenal
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
'I am the president of everybody': What Sepp Blatter said after winning re-election as Fifa president
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote