Blackpool deny receiving approach from Swansea for manager Ian Holloway
Thursday 07 June 2012
Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston says the club have not received an approach from Swansea to speak to Ian Holloway over their managerial vacancy.
Holloway's name has featured consistently among the list of leading contenders to succeed Brendan Rodgers at the Liberty Stadium and there had been suggestions that he was set to hold talks with the Swans.
But Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins is currently out of the country on holiday and a Blackpool spokesman told Press Association Sport that the club had received no contact from the south Wales side.
"I know it's manager silly season at the moment but we've not had a call from anyone enquiring about taking Ian as manager," Oyston told BBC Sport.
"[That] amazes me, I have to say, after what he has done here, what he has worked with and the way he has gone about things.
"I would think that would make him a prime candidate for other clubs to consider.
"However, surprisingly, and I am very pleased about it, we have not had any calls and I hope that continues."
Jenkins has played his cards close to his chest as he considers his options in the hunt for a successor for Liverpool boss Rodgers.
And 49-year-old Holloway, who last month saw the Seasiders miss out on a return to the Premier League as they lost to West Ham in the Championship play-off final, is among several candidates being linked with Swansea.
Former France and Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly emerged as one of the favourites over the weekend having completed his UEFA coaching qualifications with the Football Association of Wales and spoken of his admiration for Swansea's passing style.
Former Arsenal and Holland striker Dennis Bergkamp has also received plenty of backing despite the Ajax number two previously stating he had no desire to become a manager.
Michael Laudrup's agent said there had been no contact with Swansea over a move for the former Barcelona and Real Madrid midfielder.
But the Dane's reputation for producing attacking football at Getafe and Mallorca means he fits the Welsh club's wish to continue with their tactical approach.
The only man known to have had talks over the vacancy is Wigan assistant manager Graeme Jones.
It was thought the 42-year-old, who had a previous spell at the Liberty as Roberto Martinez's assistant before following the Spaniard to Wigan, had fallen down the pecking order due to reservations over taking his first managerial position.
But it is understood he remains a leading contender for the job.
Latest in Sport
Crystal Palace manager latest: Malky Mackay ruled out due to messy departure from previous club Cardiff
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
Angel Di Maria latest: Manchester United target is Real Madrid's 'best player', says Diego Simeone
Luis Nani exit: The curious case of the Manchester United winger
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 4 Nicki Minaj 'Anaconda': Singer finally releases predictable video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women