Bolton make offer for Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha
Monday 30 January 2012
Bolton boss Owen Coyle has confirmed the Barclays Premier League outfit have made an offer to Crystal Palace for forward Wilfried Zaha.
Coyle spoke over the weekend about his interest in the 19-year-old and revealed this morning that a bid for Zaha had been lodged with npower Championship side Palace - but also indicated that for the time being, the two clubs were not in agreement over the player's valuation.
"I think it is documented now that we have made an offer, which we have," Coyle said.
"I don't think it is to the value that the Crystal Palace chairman (wants), but it is an offer we felt was fair for where a very talented young player is at the moment.
"I always put what I think is a fair value on a player and if we get to it, great.
"If we don't, then we have to accept that we are not going to pay what we would believe would be over the odds.
"But he is such a talented young player and he will get better - there is scope for improvement. He has got pace and unbelievable quality and natural attributes.
"We would love for that to come to fruition, but at the moment it looks as if we are a way apart in terms of valuation."
Coyle, who has already recruited United States defender Tim Ream from the New York Red Bulls during the current transfer window, is hoping to wrap up the signing of Zaha as well as a loan deal for another attacker - Porto's Argentinian 18-year-old Juan Manuel Iturbe and Arsenal's Japanese 19-year-old Ryo Miyaichi being reported targets - before tomorrow night's deadline.
When asked about Iturbe and Miyaichi, the Wanderers manager said: "We are looking to bring a loan signing in as well and we do love exciting, young attacking players."
With regard to his own players, it also emerged over the weekend that Coyle has received a phone call from Sunderland boss Martin O'Neill about Kevin Davies - and that he told the Northern Irishman he wants to keep hold of the striker.
Although O'Neill did not get as far as making an actual offer, he said yesterday that he "may well follow up" the enquiry.
Davies, who is is out of contract in the summer, has lost his place in the Wanderers first XI this season, but Coyle remains adamant the 34-year-old has a future at the Reebok Stadium and has stressed the situation will only change if the player himself expresses a desire to move on.
"When Martin rang last week it was just an enquiry," Coyle said today.
"There was no offer made. He wanted to know the situation and I told him quite clearly, I didn't want Kevin Davies going anywhere.
"I'm not encouraging anything for Kevin Davies, because we want him here as the captain.
"It (a bid) won't change my outlook. I want Kevin Davies here, regardless of what offer is made.
"The only thing that would change that circumstance is if Kevin Davies said to me 'gaffer, I think I want to look at that' - then that is different, because I have to understand Kevin's feelings on that.
"But he is our captain, he has been a huge part of Bolton Wanderers and he will continue to be."
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Cardiff City launch ‘fraud’ probe into summer transfer spending
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Malky Mackay allegations: Malky Mackay, Iain Moody and another grim day for English football
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians