Bordeaux president rules out Cavenaghi Tottenham switch
Friday 28 November 2008
Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud will not even contemplate the departure of striker Fernando Cavenaghi to Tottenham in the January transfer window.
Cavenaghi, an Argentina international, admitted yesterday he would consider a move to Spurs should their manager Harry Redknapp make an offer for him in the new year.
French daily L'Equipe claim the English club are lining up a bid of 15.5 million euros for Cavenaghi, who joined Bordeaux at the start of last year.
But Triaud does not envisage one of his leading players leaving midway through a campaign.
"For us, the question of Cavenaghi's departure this winter is not even being asked," he said.
"I have heard no news from his agent since June. And given that we are still on track in several competitions, it isn't a subject we are thinking about.
"You don't let a player go in the middle of a season."
Cavenaghi had a slow start to life at Les Girondins, scoring just two goals in the five months he had there in the 2006/07 season following his move from Spartak Moscow.
He shot to prominence in France last term, bagging 15 goals, all of them coming in the second half of the season.
So far this campaign, he has scored eight times in Ligue 1, and is second in the charts behind Lyon's Karim Benzema
The 25-year-old insists he is happy at the Stade Chaban-Delmas but would not rule out a move to north London.
"I feel good at Bordeaux," he said.
"I am playing in every Ligue 1 match, although I am disappointed I don't play more in the Champions League.
"But if Tottenham were to double my salary, I am going there. It's part of the job."
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Gareth Bale puts five-bedroom Essex mansion up for sale at £2.2m following £86m switch from Tottenham to Real Madrid
Former England captain Mick Mills 'turned a blind eye' to initiation ceremony abuse at Stoke City, which included sexual assault dubbed 'The Glove'
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial