Bosingwa dodges ban after official's mistake
Tuesday 03 February 2009
Jose Bosingwa has escaped a Football Association ban for ramming his studs into Yossi Benayoun's back on Sunday because of a mistake by a match official who saw the incident but did not act upon it at the time.
Now Chelsea will learn today if Frank Lampard's red card for his tackle on Xabi Alonso during the game against Liverpool at Anfield will be rescinded. In a statement yesterday the Football Association said that although Mike Riley did not see the incident between Bosingwa and Benayoun, which took place near the corner flag on Chelsea's right flank, it was spotted by the linesman on that side, Mo Matadar.
Match officials are not permitted to punish offences retrospectively if they saw them take place at the time and did not act upon them. It is not clear why Matadar did not flag for an offence that clearly merited a red card. Bosingwa said yesterday that he regretted the incident. "I apologise for what I did and it was never my intention to hurt him," he said. "I know it was wrong and I apologise."
Luiz Felipe Scolari had suggested a trade-off after the 2-0 defeat to Liverpool when he said that Bosingwa should be punished and Lampard pardoned. There is an FA hearing today that will decide Lampard's fate. Given that West Bromwich Albion's Paul Robinson had a red card rescinded for his tackle on Park Ji-Sung of Manchester United in similar circumstances, the signs look good for Lampard. If Lampard's red card is not rescinded he will miss the next home game in the league against Hull, the FA Cup fifth round game against Watford and the trip to Aston Villa. Given Chelsea's poor form, and that they are five points behind Manchester United who have a game in hand, they can hardly afford to lose the outstanding player of their season so far.
Bosingwa added: "It's always frustrating to lose big games and especially in this way. It was important to get points and not let Manchester United go. That didn't happen, so we are upset, but now we have to think about the next game."
Birmingham City have extended Scott Sinclair's loan deal until the end of the season. The Chelsea winger, 19, has impressed so far since signing an initial month-long deal at the beginning of January.
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women
Asteroid that 'could end human life' is heading for Earth, scientists say