Bouma could return this year
Monday 28 July 2008
Aston Villa defender Wilfred Bouma is expected to be out for four to six months after successful surgery on his dislocated right ankle.
The 30-year-old Dutchman suffered the horrific-looking injury in Villa's Intertoto Cup second-leg victory against Odense BK on Saturday.
Bouma underwent surgery yesterday, having the joint reset and a plate inserted.
Manager Martin O'Neill told the club's official website, www.avfc.co.uk: "The operation went very well and everybody, including Freddie (Bouma), is very optimistic he will make a rapid recovery.
"Freddie's in good spirits. It was a bad injury but with the level of treatment he's had and the post-operative prognosis we've been given, we're all hoping to see him back, perhaps sooner than everyone expected on Saturday night."
A mysterious rap singing the praises of Nigel Farage's party has appeared on YouTube
NFL fans were so loud during a match that their celebrations registered as a minor earthquake
Tyre firm aimed to show how their tyres would perform in ‘unexpected’ conditions
Latest in Sport
Arsenal v Hull: Arsene Wenger ignores the sceptics and tells Gunners to seize Premier League title chance
Premier League: Arsenal beware - this is the tightest season in 11 years
Brazuca: Lionel Messi helps Adidas unveil the official ball for World Cup 2014
Manchester United v Everton: David Moyes keeps lid on emotions ahead of Everton's visit to Old Trafford
Arsenal v Hull: Bacary Sagna ruled out with hamstring injury while Arsene Wenger denies Alvaro Morata agreement
- 1 John Williams' Stoner wins Waterstones Book of the Year
- 2 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Food poverty in UK has reached level of 'public health emergency', warn experts
- 5 I’m sure Kate Moss doesn't care about posing for Playboy. But I do