* Roman Abramovich (Chelsea) The Russian billionaire bought Chelsea, then on the brink of administration, in the summer of 2003, and has poured in hundreds of millions of pounds since.
* Malcolm Glazer (Manchester United) After stockpiling shares for two years, the American completed a £790m takeover in May 2005, handing his three sons control of the business.
* Vladimir Romanov (Hearts) The Lithuanian bought a controlling stake in early 2005, and is close to completing a £4.4m buy-up of all shares. His son, Roman, is in day-to-day control.
* Mohamed al-Fayed (Fulham) The Egyptian-born, Swiss-based owner of Harrods, worth an estimated £600m, bought the club in 1996, aiming to transform them into the "Manchester United of the south". Has spent around £100m trying.
* Milan Mandaric (Portsmouth) The Serbia-born businessman bought Portsmouth, post-administration, in the late 1990s after enjoying success in the 1970s in computers.
* Sam Hammam (Cardiff City) Lebanese businessman who first found fame with Wimbledon in the days of "the crazy gang".Reuse content