Captaincy in doubt as Tevez finally returns to training
Roberto Mancini is considering stripping Carlos Tevez of the Manchester City captaincy, despite the player's return to the club in line with a pre-agreed schedule yesterday.
Tevez arrived at Carrington wearing a hoodie bearing his own name and City squad number and looked in good spirits as he began training. But Mancini was non-committal about whether the Argentine would be reinstated for a second season as captain when asked the question during City's pre-season tour, and at least three senior players are understood to have indicated that they do not believe he is a fitting candidate after a summer spent declaring his desire to leave. Mancini is trying to persuade the City board to sanction a swap deal which would see Internazionale's Samuel Eto'o heading to the Etihad Stadium.
Liverpool's captain, Steven Gerrard, said yesterday that his club's Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez would be more of a threat than Tevez if the Argentine does not leave. "Suarez is so good," Gerrard said. "It's natural you are going to compare him to Tevez because of his build, his shape and the way he plays. But I think he can go on to be even better."
Latest in Sport
- 1 The future of sex: The first female condoms were derided, mistrusted and shunned - but will their modern counterparts catch on?
- 2 South African rhino finally put down after roaming Kruger park for days with horn hacked off and bullet in brain
- 3 Italian pensioner hires an escort who turns out to be his son's girlfriend
- 4 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 5 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role to marry Natasha Richardson
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast