We are currently trialling our new-look independent.co.uk website - please send any feedback to beta@independent.co.uk

Premier League

Carlos Tevez absent from Manchester City training


Carlos Tevez has failed to report for training with Manchester City this morning, the club have confirmed.

Tevez, who it emerged yesterday would not be appealing against City's ruling that he was guilty of misconduct in the Champions League defeat to Bayern Munich on September 27, is understood to have flown out to his native Argentina on Monday night.

Tuesday was a scheduled day off for the 27-year-old, but he was due at City's Carrington training ground this morning and has not shown up, meaning he could now be in further trouble with the club.

A spokesman for City told Press Association Sport they were not yet able to say what punishment may follow for the striker, and little is being revealed about when he is likely to return from his trip.

Tevez's representative Paul McCarthy this morning told Sky Sports News: "He's gone to see his family.

"We've said all along that Carlos is aware of the situation in terms of getting back to his fitness. I can't really say much more until he's back in the country."

City last month fined Tevez four weeks' wages, later reduced to two weeks following intervention by the Professional Footballers' Association, after a disciplinary panel found the former Manchester United man guilty of five breaches of contract relating to his behaviour on the bench during the match in Munich.

He was also suspended for two weeks - although that was deemed to have already been served - and given a written warning as to his future conduct.

The player was accused by manager Roberto Mancini of refusing to come on as a substitute during the second half of the 2-0 loss at the Allianz Arena, but Tevez denied the allegation and blamed a misunderstanding, insisting he had merely refused to warm up - something he felt unnecessary as he had already done so.

He was suspended for two weeks then began training alone while the matter was investigated, and on October 25 City announced they were upholding a charge of misconduct against him based on the panel's findings.

His future with City remains unclear, although Mancini had suggested Tevez - who was the club's top scorer and skipper last term as they won the FA Cup, but has fallen out of favour since his failed attempt to secure a transfer over the summer - could yet return to the team if he apologises.

Tevez has only made five appearances for City this season, with the last coming on September 21, and he has not been selected by Argentina for their World Cup qualifying double header against Bolivia and Colombia during the current international break.