Carlos Tevez announces decision to leave Manchester City in summer of 2014
Argentine will run down contract at the Etihad
Monday 21 January 2013
Carlos Tevez has announced he will not seek a new contract at Manchester City when his current deal expires next year.
Speaking to the media in Argentina, Tevez said that he would have preferred to be playing for Boca Juniors against River Plate rather than facing Fulham on Saturday and that he plans to return home in the summer of 2014. Playing for Boca Juniors, where he began his career as a 16-year-old, would have obvious appeal for Tevez, who turns 29 next month.
"I have a year left on my contract and Manchester City want to sign me for two more seasons," he said. "However, Boca's president has said the door is always open for me to rejoin them and I'm dying to pull their shirt on once more.
"I want to end my career there. It is my dream and that of my family. I'd love to be playing for them against River Plate. It would be better than playing against Fulham."
This time last year Tevez was back in Argentina in the wake of his spectacular falling-out with the Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, after failing to warm up against Bayern Munich in the Champions League .
Two months beforehand, with Argentina hosting the Copa America, Tevez had missed the penalty in the shoot-out with Uruguay that led to their elimination at the quarter-final stage. He admitted that he contemplated retirement.
"I had lost the desire to play and spent a lot of time crying in my room," he said. "One after the other, bad things happened. I suffered psychologically and I did not want anything more to do with football.
"I am much better now and am winning people over because I began the season well, have lost weight and can run faster. I still don't like being substituted but at least I understand the manager's reasons.
"I used to call Mancini every name under the sun but now I understand he does things for the good of the team."
Latest in Sport
Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: Saints yet to receive 'serious offer' but midfielder could complete move by end of this week
Memphis Depay latest: Manchester United signing turns 'focus' on the season ahead
Sergio Ramos to Manchester United: Real Madrid defender 'wants' Old Trafford switch
Venezuelan TV host gets completely naked while reporting on Copa America win over Colombia
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez nears exit as Liverpool eye move for striker despite revealing Real Madrid video
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato