Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini faces the prospect of a reunion with Carlos Tevez after the Argentinian appeared to fail to secure a January move.
Last night's 11pm transfer deadline passed without news of any potential transfer for the 27-year-old coming to light.
Barring the possibility of a very late deal having been struck and to be announced today, it appears Tevez will remain a City player at least until the end of the season.
That means Tevez may now return to Manchester from Argentina, where he has been since last November without the club's permission, as was suggested by his advisor Kia Joorabchian last week.
Mancini was asked about the situation after his side's disappointing defeat at Everton last night but said he did not know what the latest position was.
Mancini has previously said it would be "impossible" for Tevez to return and be reintegrated into the squad.
He did not want to discuss the matter much when asked what would happen if Tevez was still on City's books today.
"Tevez is always a Manchester City player," the Italian said. "I don't know what his condition is at this moment."
When asked if Tevez would still need to apologise to in order to be considered for selection again, Mancini said: "I don't know at this moment."
AC Milan were thought to be Tevez's favoured suitors but could not meet City's £25million asking price.
Inter Milan and Paris Saint-Germain also expressed interest but were unable to conclude a deal.
Liverpool and QPR were also linked but the only rumoured interest remaining now - for this season at least - is from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, whose transfer window remains open.
Should Tevez return to City soon, he would do so against the backdrop of an ongoing dispute with the club.
The former Manchester United and West Ham striker has appealed to the Premier League against the fine for gross misconduct of approximately £1.2million imposed on him by City.
Tevez has already failed in one appeal to the club's board of directors after being charged over his failure to report for duty whilst back in Argentina.
A statement from the Premier League read: "The Premier League received correspondence from Carlos Tevez last night [Monday] giving notice of Mr Tevez's intention to appeal against a disciplinary sanction imposed on him by his club, Manchester City.
"Premier League rules allow for players to appeal disciplinary decisions under Section K and the Premier League Board will consider this request at the earliest available opportunity."