Charlton Athletic 2 Leyton Orient 1: Curbishley wary of Bothroyd injury adding to insult for Orient

Click to follow

Jay Bothroyd hopes his late show which sent Charlton into tomorrow's FA Cup fifth-round draw will help earn him an extended stay at The Valley. The much-travelled striker came off the bench to score a stoppage-time free-kick which finally ended the brave resilience of Coca-Cola League Two side Leyton Orient, who looked to have done enough to take the tie to a replay back at Brisbane Road. Having now recovered his match fitness following medical tests after a blackout suffered while driving, the 23-year-old now hopes to give manager Alan Curbishley plenty to think about over the remainder of the season. "I want to get a decent run in the team and earn myself another contract," declared Bothroyd, signed on a free transfer from Perugia at the end of August. "Charlton are still to see the best of me. "I have moved around in my career and I want to settle down and play regular football." The striker recalled: "I had that blackout thing, and it was a tough couple of weeks. I could not play and it was grinding me down. "But now I am back playing and training hard and delighted to score. "The test results are not back yet, but I think it was down to low sugar levels. The last time it happened, about a year ago, that was the same sort of thing. "I will just have to keep a bottle of Lucozade next to me!" Bothroyd is hoping his latest goalscoring exploits - albeit by the way of a slightest deflections off the wall - will not be followed by another enforced break through injury as had happened earlier in the season. "I have been unlucky," the former Arsenal trainee reflected. "Against Hartlepool and then Manchester City I scored, but hurt my calf the next day in training. "Hopefully, fingers crossed, I will be all right now and push on. "It is frustrating. Just when you feel fit and are doing well, you get knocked back it always hurts - but that is football and you have to push on." Bothroyd was one of three substitutes sent on by Curbishley on 63 minutes, the Addicks boss having seen enough after Orient battled back to level though Lee Steele at the start of the second half to cancel out Jonathan Fortune's early header. "For a long time today it looked like we wouldn't get a result but we are in the next round," said the Charlton manager, who again insisted he was focussed totally on club matters despite speculation surrounding the England vacancy after the World Cup. "We are fully concentrated on West Brom now, that is a big game for us on Tuesday night because it can take us into the top half of the league. "But we have said that plenty of times - if, if. Now, we have to do and do it." For the Os, the pressing business is now to secure promotion, with manager Martin Ling hoping the profile their cup run has given them, following a third-round win at Fulham, will prove a catalyst for sustained success. It was a sentiment echoed by goalscorer Steele. "We will just have to crack on in the league now and try to get promoted," he said. "We can not be down for too long because we have a tough game on Tuesday night .125at Bristol Rovers.375. "Other teams in League Two faltered a bit in their games this weekend, so it gives us a great opportunity to get in top three. "With all the winners we have got in our team, we will want to go on and win the league."

Goals: Fortune (7) 1-0; Steele (53) 1-1; Bothroyd (90) 2-1

Charlton Athletic (4-4-2): Myhre; Young, Fortune, Hreidarsson, Powell; Ambrose, Kishishev (Thomas, 63), Holland, Hughes (Smertin, 63); D Bent, Bartlett (Bothroyd, 63). Substitutes not used: Andersen (gk), Spector.

Leyton Orient (4-4-2): Garner; Miller, Mackie, Zakuani, Lockwood; Tudor, Simpson, McMahon, Keith; Alexander, Steele (Duncan, 85). Substitutes not used: Morris (gk), Barnard, Saah, Demetriou.

Referee: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

Booked: Charlton Kishishev, Bothroyd; Leyton Orient McMahon, Lockwood.

Man of the match: Keith.

Attendance: 22,029.