Chelsea make 'monumental' Pato offer
Wednesday 24 June 2009
AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has claimed that the club have rejected a 'monumental' offer for Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato.
The bid for the 19-year-old is thought to have come from Chelsea, who are now under the leadership of former Milan manager Carlo Ancelotti.
"Milan this year has resisted a monumental offer for Pato," Galliani told Sky Sports. "But I will not say which club made the offer."
The Rossoneri are determined to keep hold of the Brazil international, who has netted 24 goals in 54 games for the club.
Meanwhile, Lazio have set a £15m price for the sale of wantaway striker Goran Pandev.
The 25-year-old FYR Macedonia international is being heavily linked with a switch to Napoli, but a number of clubs across Europe are also rumoured to be tracking Pandev.
Lazio sporting director, Igli Tare, confirmed: "Pandev wants to go but we cannot afford to give him away for a cheap price.
"Napoli paid around £15m for Fabio Quagliarella and our player is not worth less than that. The price tag is about the same.
"We are just waiting for a good offer to come in, but at this stage I cannot give percentages regarding the transfer."
Coach Antonio Conte is to leave Serie A newcomers Bari just weeks after agreeing a new contract.
The 39-year-old coach led the club to the Serie B title last season but will not be continuing at the Stadio San Nicola.
Conte's exit is reportedly down to a disagreement with the board over transfer plans.
"Bari and Antonio Conte have jointly decided not to continue their agreement, meaning his contract will now expire on June 30, 2009," read a statement on the club's official website.
Gian Piero Ventura has been drafted in to replace Conte.
Juventus have confirmed that the sale of defender Olof Mellberg to Greek side Olympiacos.
The former Aston Villa player leaves Italy for a fee of 2.5million euros, with an extra 500,000 euros in add-ons if Olympiacos win the league next year.
The 31-year-old joined the Old Lady on a free transfer from Villa last year and went on to make 27 league appearances for the Italian giants, who finished second in Serie A.
"After one season, Juventus salute Olof Mellberg," read a club statement.
"The Swedish defender leaves the Bianconeri to join Greek club Olympiacos on a permanent transfer for a 2.5 million euros fee."
Mellberg, a Swedan international, fell down the pecking order in Turin due to the return of Fabio Cannavaro, who re-signed for the club from Real Madrid last month.
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Manchester United combined XI: No place for Yaya Toure... or any United defenders
EXCLUSIVE: F1 heading for eastern revolution as new team emerges from Romania
Impressive Kurt Zouma may save Chelsea millions by replacing John Terry
Radamel Falcao: Manchester United ready to seal permanent transfer of striker as 'everything is complete' to extend his Old Trafford stay
Daniel Sturridge injury: Liverpool striker suggests problems could be linked with 'Caribbean vibes'
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'