Chelsea midfielder Oriol Romeu ruled out for the season
21-year-old out for six months after undergoing surgery
Chelsea midfielder Oriol Romeu is expected to be out for six months after undergoing surgery on Monday, the Barclays Premier League club have announced.
Romeu had anterior cruciate reconstruction surgery and medial meniscus repair after suffering a knee injury in the first half of Saturday's win at Sunderland.
The 21-year-old returned to London for assessment after the game instead of flying to Japan with the rest of the squad for the Club World Cup.
Romeu lasted just 20 minutes of the 3-1 win at the Stadium of the Light before being forced off and replaced by Oscar.
Chelsea had initially hoped he might have been able to join up with the Blues squad in Japan later this week, but further assessment revealed the need for surgery.
Romeu has made nine appearances for Chelsea in all competitions this season, scoring in the Capital One Cup win over Wolves in September.
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.